Please do not attend parkrun if you display any COVID-19 symptoms
The course is 5000m (5k) long. This has been accurately measured by us with a professional measuring wheel. The course is at Teza Game Reserve, Lower Umfolozi, Mtubatuba. The course is run on a mixture of gravel paths and sandy paths. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
Umfolozi parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the event as safe as possible, so participants, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces – whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us.
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- Unfortunately dogs are not allowed at this event.
- Unfortunately this course is not suitable for buggies and wheelchair users.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Umfolozi parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help parkrunners compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.For more information, please see our Support page.
Course DescriptionStarting just inside the private game reserve, the sandy double track goes past a waterhole on your left for 1.1 km where a marshal will indicate a right turn onto a gravel road. After 450m a sharp left turn on to another sandy track for another 450m where you will turn left on to winding track past two water holes for about 1.7km. When you reach the gravel road turn right followed almost immediately by a sharp turn to the left onto a gravel road for 1.3 km where you will be directed to the end just 20m off the road to the right. Please keep to your right on the gravel roads, there might be an occasional vehicle. Marshals will guide you at all the turns in the road. Unfortunately dogs are not allowed at this event. Some parts of the course may be unsuitable for buggies so please contact the team in advance to discuss.
Please note that there are no facilities in the game reserve itself.
Location of startThe event starts just inside the private game reserve.
Getting there by public transportN/A
Getting there on footN/A
Getting there by roadFrom N2 North - Take the exit towards Mfolozi, turn left onto the tar road and drive for 4.7 km before turning left onto a gravel road. Stay to your right on the gravel road for 350 m where you will find the soccer field for parking on your left. Once parked, walk through the entrance of the game reserve and turn right on the "no entry" road. The start of the Umfolozi parkrun will be in front of you.
From N2 South - Take the exit towards Mfolozi, turn right onto the tar road and follow the instructions from above.
The GPS coordinates are -28.482236 32.180539. Ample parking available on a soccer field 100m from the start of the run.