All parkrun events in this country are currently suspended due to COVID-19 (Coronavirus). For further details please see here
Please also see official advice at www.sacoronavirus.co.za
The course is 5000m (5K) long. The course is at Rondebosch Common, Rondebosch, Cape Town. The course is run entirely on tarmac paths. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Rondebosch Common parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- You are welcome to take part with a dog, but please keep the dog on a short lead or short harness and under control throughout the event. Please also review the parkrun support page article about running with a dog at parkrun events.
- Due to increased numbers we can no longer allow running buggies/prams for children. We do however, allow regular prams but request that you start near the back and walk.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Rondebosch Common parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help athletes compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.For more information, please see our Support page.
This is a flat and fast 2 lap course around Rondebosch Common with
stunning views of Devils Peak. It is run in a clockwise direction which
makes the last straight into the South-Easterly winds that normally blow
a nice challenge. This is a safe course run on pavement next to the
The course starts half way down Park Road and heads towards Camp Ground Road in a clockwise direction around Rondebosch Common, turn right into Camp Ground Road, which becomes Sawkins Road at the traffic circle, turn right into Klipfontein Road, turn right into Milner Road and right again into Park Road past the start. Repeat this loop again and finish near the corner of Park Rd and Milner Rd. Everyone should keep right (inside on the Common side) and at most two abreast so that faster walkers and runners can pass safely, on your left. Please look behind you before passing.
Due to increased numbers we can no longer allow running buggies/prams for children. We do however, allow regular prams but request that you start near the back and walk. Dogs are welcome on a short leash and one per person. We can't allow earphones/headphones, as they impede your ability to hear instructions being given by our marshals who are placed around the course.
Location of startThe run starts along Park Road, about 150 metres before the corner of Park Road and Milner Road and almost directly opposite Forres School. Starters facing in an Easterly direction. Parking available in Park Road, inside Common Ground Church and on the verge opposite Common Ground Café.
Getting there by public transportTake train to Rondebosch station and walk up Belmont Road until you come to the Common on your left.
Getting there on foot
Getting there by roadFrom N2 towards Cape Town, take the Liesbeek Parkway Turnoff.
Follow road towards Muizenberg (i.e. South) until traffic lights at Park Road.
Turn left and the run will start about 500 metres down Park Road on your left hand side.
Post Run Coffee
Every week we grab a post parkrun coffee in the Common Ground Cafe on Milner Road, Rondebosch, about 150 metres from the start. Parking is available at the venue so park there and walk to the start. Breakfast specials available exclusively for parkrunners - please come and join us!