All parkrun events in this country are currently suspended due to COVID-19 (Coronavirus). For further details please see here
Please also see official advice at www.sacoronavirus.co.za
The course is 5000m (5K) long. This has been accurately measured by us with a professional measuring wheel. The course is at the Surval Boutique Olive Estate, R328, Oudtshoorn. The course is run on a mixture of gravel paths, grass and sand . Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Oudtshoorn parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- Unfortunately dogs are not allowed at this event.
- Runners pushing buggies are welcome, but please take extreme care of other runners around you. If possible start from the back of the field and try to keep to one side of the main body of runners.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Oudtshoorn parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help parkrunners compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.For more information, please see our Support page.
Course DescriptionThis is an out-and-back route. The route starts at the swimming pool gate and runs past the parking area where we will turn right and follow gravel road around the olive trees. We will return back to the parking area at 3km where we will turn south east. The route heads in an easterly direction along the farm’s boundary fence. The runners will then turn left, heading north where they will take a small detour along the dam embankment. Continuing north for a short distance, our runners will then turn right through the Lucerne fields making their way up a small embankment of the last dam wall. Around the dam wall our runners will have returned back to the starting point at the swimming pool.
PLEASE NOTE that dogs are not allowed at this event.
Parking available for 150 cars, plus additional can be arranged on demand. Toilet facilities are available at the swimming pool (Swimming pool not available for parkrun runners). There is a highly acclaimed restaurant where a parkrun breakfast is available for our runners after the run. There is also play facilities for children including a jumping castle.
Location of startThe run starts starts at the swimming pool gate.
Getting there by public transportOnly taxi’s are available (scarce).
Getting there on footAs by car.
Getting there by roadGPS Coordinates: S33°32‘05.5” E22°14‘05.8”
Travelling from Oudtshoorn, follow Baron van Reede Street out of town towards the Cango Caves (R328). From Caves Retirement Village (last houses on the left) it is 4.2 km to the turn-off of Surval Boutique Olive Estate. Turn left onto a gravel road. Surval Boutique Olive Estate is 1.1km along the gravel road.