Hello fellow parkrunners
Apologies for this belated communication, but we literally confirmed this morning that we are DEFINITELY able to run the inaugural of the Modderfontein Reserve parkrun Bunker Route this Saturday, the 10th December 2016.
Please check in regularly on our Facebook page for the latest updates and new informative posts, such as:
- Directions to the new entrance.
- Directions from the entrance to the parking areas.
- Designated parking areas.
- The new look funnel.
So for starters, the new location of the Modderfontein Reserve parkrun is essentially on the other side (North) of Fish Eagle Dam (i.e: the picnic area near the newly built hospital). The existing entrances are NO LONGER valid.
So why the change? We’ve needed to move for a few reasons:
- Firstly, the Reserve were losing out on entrance revenue where picnickers were gaining free access to the reserve using a parkrun barcode on Saturday mornings.
- And secondly, with our growing parkrun numbers, that area of the Reserve’s footprint is saturated with the various Reserve visitors on Saturday mornings every week of the year.
What’s there to look forward to from this Saturday at the Bunker Route:
- A dedicated entrance (for parkrunners only) to the left of the AEL factory.
- Ample parking!
- A very wide start!
- A unique route running through seven disused (and obviously safe) dynamite storage bunkers.
- A balanced route with varying degrees of ups, level and downhills.
- A dry route after heavy rains.
- The “Fan-tree Pantry” shaded cheering area at the 3.5km mark for waiting family and friends.
That said, let’s start with a few “do’s” for this and most Saturday’s moving forward at our new location. Do:
For communication purposes and due to our late official notification to parkrunners:
- Like our Facebook page to receive the latest updates that will come after this posting.
- Repost this link on your personal Facebook page.
- WhatsApp this link to your friends that are parkrunners in JHB. (your assistance in spreading the word on such short notice will be greatly appreciated)
For arrival and entry purposes:
- Arrive early as everything will be new to everyone.
- Obey the rules of the Reserve’s speed limits.
- Enter at the entrance next to the AEL Entrace on Andeer Road. Click here for a map to the entrance.
- Volunteer marshals will be around to direct you to the new start.
- Please DON'T use the usual Modderfontein Reserve entrance or the Marshall Street entrance as you cannot reach the new route from those entrances.
- Entrance co-ordinates at the AEL factory are: 26deg05’14.00”S & 28deg09’00.00”E.
For parking purposes:
- Please only park in the designated parking areas.
- Please follow the marshal’s instructions.
- Parking co-ordinates are: 26deg04’08.00”S & 28deg08’20.00”E.
For safety purposes:
- There are a few uneven areas along the route, especially on the grass sections, so be sure of your footing.
- When running the route for the first time, run cautiously until you are familiar with the route.
- Please keep children under 11 years old close to you.
- There are two cyclist crossings at two points along the route, and while we will have marshals at these points, please exercise vigilance.
For comfort and enjoyment purposes:
- Bring a water bottle.
- Bring an umbrella (if you’re a walker), not for the rain, but for protection from the sun.
- Apply sunblock.
- The Bunker Route is pram friendly but buggy-prams with the larger wheels will navigate the uneven terrain a LOT better!
Need to know:
- Please remember, we’re doubling up this inaugural event with our Christmas Charity Drive – see posts for details here on our Facebook page.
- It’s also our Volunteer Year-end Party after this weekend’s event, so please join us if you’ve volunteered with us before.
- If you would like to go to the picnic sites from now on within the Reserve, you’ll need to enter at the main entrance of the Reserve and pay the entrance fee of R35 p/p.
- Restaurant patrons can get free entry but only through prior arrangement with the Restaurant Management.
We look forward to seeing you all on Saturday, and our squad of volunteers are all waiting for you.
Event Director – Modderfontein Reserve parkrun
(on behalf of the most amazing group of volunteers)