Please do not attend parkrun if you display any COVID-19 symptoms
The course is 5000m (5k) long. This has been accurately measured by us with a professional measuring wheel. The course is at ‘Die Bos’, Barocca Street, Malmesbury. The course is run entirely on a combination of different surfaced paths. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Malmesbury parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us.
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- You are welcome to take part with a dog, but please keep the dog on a short lead or short harness and under control throughout the event. Please also review the parkrun support page article about running with a dog at parkrun events.
- Runners pushing buggies are welcome, but please take care of others around you and do your best to start at an appropriate place in the field for your pace.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Malmesbury parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help parkrunners compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.For more information, please see our Support page.
Course DescriptionThis is a one lap course. You will encounter a flat start alongside “Die Bos”. After about 800m the eastern descend, to the lowest point of the course, starts. The descend takes you down to the edge of the R45 and provides an eastern view of the valley. At about the 2,5km point there is a sharp left turn that marks the start of the ascend to the highest point of the course. Steep, but less than 1km and you find yourself with a 360deg view of the centre of the Swartland. The long descend, that follows, takes you to the back of “Die Bos” where you will enter into this Bluegum forest. After a few interesting twists and turns through the forest the course brings you to the finish in the open area where you have started.
Ablution, exclusive of shower facilities, is available less than 200m from the Start/Finish at the Market.
Location of startThe run starts at “Die Bos”, opposite the High School Sports field.
Getting there by public transportUnfortunately there is no formal public transport available to the start.
Getting there on footFind Voortrekker Road, the main road. From Voortrekker Road take any road towards the east. The last road on the east side is Barocca street. The main beacon is the Swartland High School Sports fields in Barocca street. The start is directly opposite.
Getting there by roadGPS: -33.455374, 18.735877
Entering the town via the N7, make your way to Voortrekker Road, the main road.
From Cape Town take the R315 past the Bokomo silos. At the R302 intersection take a left. The first possible right turn is Rainer Street where you take a right. Continue straight until the T-junction with Barocca Street. Make a left turn and within 150m find the start on the right, opposite the High School Sports field.
From Morreesburg take the off-ramp into Voortrekker Street. Turn left after 850m into Piketberg Street past the Correctional Services. Within 200m turn right into Barocca Street. Follow the road past the Caravan Park. The start is on the left, opposite the High School Sports field.
Entering town From Paarl, R45. Before you enter town turn right into Barlinka Street. At the top, take a left into Barocca Street. Follow the road, past Friend of God Church over two Stop streets. Find the start on the right, opposite the High School Sports field.
Off street parking available as well as limited parking at the Start/Finish area.