All parkrun events in this country are currently suspended due to COVID-19 (Coronavirus). For further details please see here
Please also see official advice at www.sacoronavirus.co.za
The course is 5000m (5K) long. The course is at Commonage on the Bluff, Hogsback (follow The Edge signboards from the Main Road). The course is run entirely on trail paths. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Hogsback parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- You are welcome to take part with a dog, but please keep the dog on a short lead or short harness and under control throughout the event. Please also review the parkrun support page article about running with a dog at parkrun events.
- Runners pushing buggies are welcome, but please take extreme care of other runners around you. If possible start from the back of the field and try to keep to one side of the main body of runners.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Hogsback parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help athletes compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.For more information, please see our Support page.
The course starts in the parking lot of The Edge and heads right for 1 km along the fence line and then left down a steep hill facing the gorge. Follow the path parallel to gorge for about 200m and turn left at the 1st “lap 1” marker. Cross the commonage and turn right, run back along the fence line past the starting point (and a water stop). Looking out over the Thyume Valley turn right, follow the path until the “lap 2” marker, turn right cross commonage again, left at the intersection and left down the steep hill again. Follow the path home along the bluff edge, looking out towards the Thyume valley with the Hogsback mountains on your left.
Free car park outside The Edge Restaurant, ablution facilities and comfortable and secure waiting place in the restaurant grounds with a view of the start and finish.
Location of startThe run starts in the parking lot of The Edge.
Getting there by public transportN/A
Getting there on footN/A
Getting there by roadGPS coordinators -32.601.42 ; 26.91793
From King Williams Town; Head to Alice on the R63. Just before Alice turn right onto the R345 (Cathcart and Hogsback). Carry on straight up the pass for + 30 kms which will take you into the centre of Hogsback. About 300m from the shops turn left into Nutwoods, then left into Summerton and follow the signs to The Edge.
From Cathcart: Leaving Cathcart on the N6 towards Sutterheim turn right immediately after leaving the town centre and take the R345 to your left to Hogsback (unpaved road). Follow the road for approximately 50km. Turn left into Hogsback and then turn right into Nutwoods, left into Summerton and follow the signs The Edge. Note: The route from Cathcart is unpaved road and is not great when wet or without a high clearance vehicle. The alternate route is via Fort Beaufort / Alice. Your GPS may recommend the shortest route to Hogsback from Seymour via Michel’s pass. This road is now closed to all traffic.
Post Run Coffee
Every week we grab a post parkrun coffee in The Edge - please come and join us!