The course is 5000m (5k) long. This has been accurately measured by us with a professional measuring wheel. The course is at Schoemansville resort, Hartbeespoort. The course is run on a mixture of dirt roads and fence track. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Hartbeespoort parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us.
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- Runners pushing buggies are welcome, but please take care of others around you and do your best to start at an appropriate place in the field for your pace.
- Unfortunately dogs are not allowed at this event due to animals roaming on the property.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Hartbeespoort parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help parkrunners compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.For more information, please see our Support page.
Course DescriptionThe course is flat and scenic besides the Hartbeespoort Dam overlooking the Magaliesburg Mountains.There are a number of game and domestic animals to be seen as well as prolific bird life. The route starts in the centre of the resort and follows the entrance road for a short distance before it turns right and completes a short loop before it passes the start point and continues on the centre road and then turns to the right and returns along the fence to the entrance before doing a right turn and a small loop before passing the start again and taking the left road before returning to the finish on the centre road again. In effect there are four loops.
Please note dogs are not allowed at this event due to animals roaming on the property.
Free Parking at the start; toilets; tea room and garden; fishing facilities and accommodation (for own account).
Location of startThe run starts starts in the centre of the resort.
Getting there by public transportN/A
Getting there on footN/A
Getting there by roadFrom Pretoria and Johannesburg: head for Scott street Schoemansville and turn left into Marais St before the Wimpy. Drive 1 km to the bottom of the street and the entrance is in front of you.
From the West: Head for the dam wall, go through the tunnel and into Scott Street Schoemansville and after 2 km turn right into Marais street after the Wimpy. Drive 1km to the bottom of Marais street and the entrance is in front of you.