All parkrun events in this country are currently suspended due to COVID-19 (Coronavirus). For further details please see here
Please also see official advice at www.sacoronavirus.co.za
The course is 5000m (5K) long. This has been accurately measured by us with a professional measuring wheel. The course is in Greenpoint Park, Cape Town. The course is run on a mixture of brick paving, tar paths and grass. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Greenpoint parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- You are welcome to take part with a dog, but please keep the dog on a short lead or short harness and under control throughout the event. Please also review the parkrun support page article about running with a dog at parkrun events.
- Runners pushing buggies are welcome, but please take extreme care of other runners around you. If possible start from the back of the field and try to keep to one side of the main body of runners.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Greenpoint parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help parkrunners compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.For more information, please see our Support page.
- Start at the pavement beside Vlei Road, next to new Athletic Track parking area. Clearly marked red brick paving, towards mountain.
- Turn left to follow paved pedestrian route before Helen Suzman Blvd. Towards McDonalds.
- Follow signs and paved green arrows directly to elevated traffic circle
- Keep right between pillars directly under elevated traffic circle
- Take left branch paved fan walk to main road, closest to station ramp
- Keep right up to Main road fanwalk, along wall and pillars beside parking area.
- Along Main road pedestrian fanwalk.
- Turn-Around at marker.
- Keep right along fence, next to western bypass/Helen Suzman,back down under elevated traffic circle
- Keep right directly under elevated traffic circle, between pillars
- Follow council marked paved green arrows toward Athletic track, McDonalds on right
- Follow council marked green arrows diagonally across open area, to between Athletics track on left, and Stadium on right, joining bicycle route
- Cross Vlei Road and rejoin bicycle route
- Cross Stephan Way as per council park route
- Turn left to follow circuit at Bay road. Along fence with golf course and park on left. Straight on past the park entrances.
- Turn left at Bill Peters Drive, keep along wall of Police station
- Cross entrance to Swiss Club and TaeKwonDo Dojo as marked on council park route
- Keep along fence/ wall to park on left to re-enter park
- Turn left on paved path by fountain
- Straight down toward lighthouse, out the west gate.
- Turn-around at lamp-pole outside the gate before the road
- Keep left on main wide straight, over wooden bridge, straight up and out east gate.
- Finish to the right after gate.
Plenty of open parking at P5 in Fritz Sonnenberg Road, between stadium and new athletics track, as well as P12, P13 and P15 between Main Rd and Helen Suzman Blvd.
Location of startThe run starts at the pavement beside Vlei Road, next to new Athletic Track parking area. Clearly marked red brick paving, towards mountain.
The GPS coordinates for the start are 33deg 54' 21'' s, 18deg 24' 25'' e.
Getting there by public transport
Myciti bus: Greenpoint Stadium stop, follow signs to park then turn down Vlei Road towards Stadium.
Greenpoint Main Road Busses: Come out at stop across from Greenpoint Park. Cross over Helen Suzman at traffic lights and as per foot directions above.
Mouille Point, Beach road Busses: Come out next to Fritz Sonnenberg Road. Walk towards stadium and turn into Vlei Road.
Getting there on footGet to the park area, come along Vlei Road on the main paved paths. Adjacent to new Athletics Track parking area.
Getting there by roadDrive towards Cape Town stadium/ Greenpoint park. Approach either along Beach Road, Helen Suzman Blvd., turn into Fritz Sonnenberg. Turn into Vlei road.
Plenty of open parking off Vlei, junction Fritz Sonnenberg, Roads, between stadium, cricket oval, and new athletics track.