The course is 5000m (5k) long. This has been accurately measured by us with a professional measuring wheel. The course is at the Fish Hoek Sports Fields, corner 20th Ave / Nelson Road, Silverglades, Fish Hoek. The course is run on a mixture of gravel paths and grass. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Fish Hoek parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- You are welcome to take part with a dog, but please keep the dog on a short lead or short harness and under control throughout the event. Please also review the parkrun support page article about running with a dog at parkrun events.
- Unfortunately this course is not suitable for pushchairs or buggies.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Fish Hoek parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help parkrunners compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.For more information, please see our Support page.
Course DescriptionThis is a varied course on grass, hard pathway, gravel road and sandy pathways. There is a two loop, with the first loop is 2km and the second longer loop of 3km. The start has been arranged so that the participants have to space to “string out” so the narrow sandy paths pose no constraints to participants needing to pass each other.
There is plenty of parking on east of the start in the parking area in front of the cricket ovals on Nelson Road.
NO PARKING between the sports Club House buildings as these are used by soccer and other sports clubs that use these facilities. No toilet facilities at the start/ along the course.
Location of startThe run starts at the Fish Hoek Sports Fields .
Getting there by public transportThe nearest station is Fish Hoek, see capemetrorail.co.za for timetables. At the bus terminus next to the train station take the 7:10am bus to Ocean View or the 7:35am bus to Noordhoek (see Bus timetable for bus departure times). Get off at the Silverglades / Fish Hoek Sports Fields at 20th Avenue.
Getting there on footN/A
Getting there by roadFind your way to Fish Hoek or to Sun Valley. From Fish Hoek travel west on M65 to 20th Avenue where you turn right to the Fish Hoek Sports Fields.
From Sun Valley on Ou Kaapse Weg turn east into Kommetie Road. Take left turn into 20th Avenue to the Fish Hoek Sports Fields.