The course is 5000m (5k) long. This has been accurately measured by us with a professional measuring wheel. The course is at Doornkop Military Base, Johannesburg South. The course is run on a mixture of trail paths and grass. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Doornkop Military Base parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us.
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- Unfortunately dogs are not allowed at this event.
- Runners pushing buggies are welcome, but please take care of others around you and do your best to start at an appropriate place in the field for your pace.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Doornkop Military Base parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help parkrunners compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.For more information, please see our Support page.
Course DescriptionTwo laps with a combination of grass and trail terrain around the perimeter of the Military Base.
Unfortunately dogs are not allowed at this event.
Ablutions inside the Military Base.
Location of startThe event starts at the Military Base.
Getting there by public transportFrom Johannesburg CBD take a taxi to Baragwanath Hospital from via the Military Base and drop off at the traffic lights outside Military Base entrance.
If using two connecting taxis, take a taxi to Baragwanth taxi rank, then take a local taxi to South Gate. Drop off at the traffic lights outside Military Base entrance.
Getting there on footWalk and access the Military Base entrance using Chris Hani Road.
Getting there by roadN1 Western Bypass: Take N1 Western Bypass to Soweto Hwy/M70 in Diepkloof Zone 3, Diepmeadow. Take exit 69 from N1 Western Bypass. Continue on N1 Western Bypass to Lenaron, Johannesburg South. Take exit 64 from N1/N12. Continue on Golden Hwy/R553 to your destination in Diepkloof 319-Iq and access the Military Base entrance using Chris Hani Road.
N12 Southern Bypass: Get on N12 Southern Bypass/N12 in Suideroord. Use the left 2 lanes to take exit 67 for M68 toward Soweto. Continue straight to your destination in Diepkloof 319-Iq and access the Military Base entrance using Chris Hani Road.
M1 Mondeor towards Southgate: Take the exit toward Klipriviersberg. Use any lane to turn left onto Columbine Ave/M68. Continue straight and access the Military Base entrance using Chris Hani Road.
Parking: Ample parking is available inside the Military Base. GPS coordinates -26.2641,27.9668