All parkrun events in this country are currently suspended due to COVID-19 (Coronavirus). For further details please see here
Please also see official advice at www.sacoronavirus.co.za
The course is 5000m (5K) long. The course is at The Oval Sports Field, Park Lane, Century City, Cape Town. The course is run on a mixture of tarmac paths, paving and grass. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Century City parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- You are welcome to take part with a dog, but please keep the dog on a short lead or short harness and under control throughout the event. Please also review the parkrun support page article about running with a dog at parkrun events.
- Runners pushing buggies are welcome, but please take extreme care of other runners around you. If possible start from the back of the field and try to keep to one side of the main body of runners.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Century City parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help athletes compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.For more information, please see our Support page.
The course starts on the sports field at the Oval and heads along the canal to Ratanga Junction (caution train tracks) where the runners/walkers turn around return along the other side of the canal. The course continues with the canal on your left-hand side and then around the scenic Intaka Island, along the canal via a dedicated narrow foot path crossing two slightly elevated wooden bridges, before finishing with a loop back at the Oval sports field.
Toilets, changing rooms and showers available at the Club House, ample parking available, good security, organised tours of Intaka Island Nature Reserve and easy access to Canal Walk shopping centre.
Location of startThe event starts on the sports field at the Oval.
Getting there by public transportBy Train See the timetable from Adderly Street CPT CBD or Bellville to Century City station and walk (or take a mini bus taxi) up to Sable Rd and into Ratanga Rd before following the same route as one would travel by car or if walking follow the canal from Crystal Towers Hotel in Century Boulevard to the Oval sports field.
By Bus See the MyCiti website or Golden Arrow from CPT CBD. Walk from the bus stop in Century Way to the Oval sports field in Park Lane.
Getting there on footFrom Century City Train station follow Sable Rd into Ratanga Rd and right into Century Boulevard and follow the canal to the “oval”. From the Bus station in Ratanga Rd follow Century Way northwards into Park Lane to the Oval.
Getting there by roadSouth take N1 Highway from Cape Town CBD head toward Paarl, take the Century City/Sable Rd offramp & head left into Ratanga Rd then right into the second Century Boulevard turnoff then right into Century Way & finally left into Park Lane to the designated parking area where the event will start on the sports field at the Oval. North take N1 South towards Cape Town and exit off the Century City Sable Rd turnoff and follow the same directions to Park Lane.
Turn left and the event will start 20 metres on your left hand side.
GPS co-ordinates 33°53'17.8"S 18°30'44.8"E. Parking available at Oval and Canal Walk Shopping Centre. Please do not park on the red line or in any driveways.
Post Run Coffee
Every week we grab a post parkrun coffee in The Club House, 3 Park Lane (recovery drinks, snacks & breakfast served) - please come and join us!